Sunday, February 11, 2007

Laguna Atascosa NWR and South Padre Island, 2/10/07

Honey and I spent a cold, windy, drizzly day birding at Laguna Atascosa NWR and South Padre Island. Not too exciting. At the start of the day I told her our goal was to reach 110 species. After driving through the wind and rain I told her we needed to adjust our goal. She said we wouldn't get to fifty. I bet her five dollars we would. Well, after we got #50, I asked her if she wanted to go double or nothing on 75. She agreed. We did that a couple more times. Eventually I got her to to set the target at 90. If we reached it she would owe me 40 bucks and if we came up short then we were even. Well, we only reached 87. Maybe I shouldn't let her keep the list! Best birds were a Red-breasted Grosbeak, two Gray Catbirds and a Merlin at Laguna Atascosa and a dozen Northern Gannets at the beach at SPI. There were lots of shorebirds behind the convention center but nothing exciting.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Check out the colors on this jay-walking Great Blue Heron. I think he was heading to one of the bars to pick up a babe.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments: