Sunday, March 4, 2007

Anzalduas County Park, 3/4/07

It was a cool, breezy morning at Anzalduas. Warblers were way down from my last visit in January. Two Merlins, one with a meal, were pretty cool. Gray Hawk and Northern Beardless Tyrannulet were there as expected but I couldn't find the Hermit Warbler.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I kicked up four Sprague's Pipits in the field by the entrance.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Gadwall 40
American Wigeon 100
Mottled Duck 10
Blue-winged Teal 50
Green-winged Teal 2
Pied-billed Grebe 1
American White Pelican 3
Neotropic Cormorant 1
Double-crested Cormorant 50
Great Blue Heron 2
Great Egret 4
Snowy Egret 4
Little Blue Heron 1
Black Vulture 1
Turkey Vulture 15
Osprey 1
Cooper's Hawk 1
Gray Hawk 1
American Kestrel 2
Merlin 2
American Coot 40
Killdeer 2
Spotted Sandpiper 2
Long-billed Curlew 1
Least Sandpiper 15
Rock Pigeon 12
Mourning Dove 2
White-tipped Dove 2
Ringed Kingfisher 1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker 6
Ladder-backed Woodpecker 2
Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet 1
Eastern Phoebe 1
Vermilion Flycatcher 6
Great Kiskadee 1
Couch's Kingbird 1
Blue-headed Vireo 2
Green Jay 2
Tree Swallow 2
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 2
Cliff Swallow 30
Cave Swallow 1
Barn Swallow 2
Black-crested Titmouse 2
House Wren 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 5
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 8
American Robin 1
Sprague's Pipit 4
Orange-crowned Warbler 5
Yellow-rumped Warbler 8
Black-throated Green Warbler 1
Pine Warbler 2
Black-and-white Warbler 2
Common Yellowthroat 8
Savannah Sparrow 4
Lincoln's Sparrow 1
Swamp Sparrow 1
Northern Cardinal 1
Western Meadowlark 100
Great-tailed Grackle 10
American Goldfinch 15

Yesterday Afternoon I checked out the Llano Grande flood channel on the south side of Estero Llano Grande State Park. Lots of birds but nothing of note.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This Anhinga skewered a tilapia right through the eyeball.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Bewick's Wren is a little hard to find in Weslaco.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, there!
My name is Rosanna I know your are a bird lover, and I need some tips about feeding the backyard bird. Actually I am in a city of Texas, and I live in an apartment instead of a house. I wanted to feed the birds, but all that came to eat are house sparrows except one pair of Northern Cardinals. I just learned house sparrows are considered “bad” by people, in this sense, I should not feed them, but I still want to feed the cardinals. What should I do? I am using a bag of “wild bird seeds mix”, but both the cardinals and the sparrows eat them. I wonder in your knowledge, is there anything that cardinals like to eat while detested by the sparrows? Is that possible? Am I wrong if in order to feed the Cardinal I also feed a bunch of sparrows? I am so puzzled now.
I will be very appreciative of your reply! Thank you! My e-mail is rosanna_2003@hotmail.com.