Friday, January 4, 2008

New Year's Birding and Back up to 500

Honey and I started the new year with cold blustery trip out to Laguna Atascosa NWR and South Padre Island. We didn't see anything unusual but still got 98 species to start the new year with. Here's Mr. Green Jay from Laguna Atascosa.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I had one last day off before returning to the shackles of teaching (actually I have very nice students but I'd rather be birding) so I decided to head up to Sal del Rey to see what was going on. Well, the water was very low with hardly andy birds at all so I decided to check out a few other places. I found this Say's Phoebe by the Hargil Reservoir. There seems to be quite a few of them in the Valley this winter.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This Northern Waterthrush was at the wet spot on Rio Beef Yards Rd. Normally rare in winter, I've seen three of them this season and heard of several others.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

As I was watching the waterthrush a movement nearby caught my attention. Pretty cool!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

One last stop at the big pond by the "sugar house" on HWY 1425. That's they they call the sugar refinery where they process sugar cane. I walked up the steep dike, peered into the pond and was surprised to see hundreds of geese and waterfowl, Then several Canada Geese Cought my attention. I snapped a few pics before the flock lifted. While checking the photos at home I could see the geese were smaller than the nearby White-fronted Geese. They were Cackling Geese, the expected species in the Valley. I had not seen any since they were spit from Canada Goose a few years ago so this was a life bird for me and now my Texas list is back to 500.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments: