Monday, October 12, 2009

Frontera Audubon Thicket, 10/12/09

Frontera is closed on Mondays but I have Cindy's permission to let myself in. It was a little warmer this morning with no wind. The cool front of the weekend blew out a lot of the migrants but I still managed to find 13 species of warblers including this Canada and my first Orange-crowned of the season.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Black-and-white Warbler is present in the RGV for all of the year except a few weeks in June. I've seen them in July several times. I had four of them this morning.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My best birds of the day was a Whip-poor-will, at least that's what I'm calling it, and the first Yellow-throated Vireo I've seen in Hidalgo County in several years. I saw it briefly and then I did a crude imitation of its song and it zoomed right in for this poor pic.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This Red-shouldered Hawk has been hanging around, raising Hell, for the last couple of weeks.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck 5
Plain Chachalaca 10
Anhinga 3
Great Egret 1
Green Heron 1
Cooper's Hawk 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Broad-winged Hawk 2
Rock Pigeon 4
White-winged Dove 40
Mourning Dove 3
Inca Dove 3
White-tipped Dove 5
Green Parakeet 1
Common Nighthawk 1
Common Pauraque 1
Whip-poor-will 1
Chimney Swift 20
Buff-bellied Hummingbird 10
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1
Ringed Kingfisher 1
Belted Kingfisher 1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker 5
Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet 1
Least Flycatcher 1
Great Kiskadee 1
Couch's Kingbird 2
White-eyed Vireo 6
Yellow-throated Vireo 1
Red-eyed Vireo 1
Barn Swallow 5
Black-crested Titmouse 3
Carolina Wren 3
House Wren 2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 4
Gray Catbird 2
Northern Mockingbird 6
Long-billed Thrasher 2
European Starling 3
Blue-winged Warbler 1
Tennessee Warbler 1
Orange-crowned Warbler 1
Nashville Warbler 6
Northern Parula 2
Yellow Warbler 5
Black-throated Green Warbler 1
Black-and-white Warbler 4
American Redstart 4
Ovenbird 2
Common Yellowthroat 3
Wilson's Warbler 6
Canada Warbler 1
Northern Cardinal 1
Red-winged Blackbird 300
Great-tailed Grackle 100
Lesser Goldfinch 3
House Sparrow 1

No comments: