Monday, May 5, 2014

Broad-billed Hummingbird at Quinta Mazatlan, 5/2/14

A week ago a Blue-throated Hummingbird was found at Quinta Mazatlan in McAllen.  Subsequently, birders searching for the hummer discovered another southwestern humminbird, a Broad-billed Hummingbird.  For long-time birders this is known as the "Patagonia Picnic Table Effect" after birders searching for one rare bird in the early 70's discovered another.  I think they were Five-striped Sparrow and Black-capped Gnatcatcher if I remember correctly.  Anyway, I went to see the Broad-billed which I had seen once before in the county nearly twenty years ago.




Here's a Buff-bellied who would be periodically chased out of the coral bean by the Broad-billed.


Several Ruby-throats would sneak in for a sip from time to time.


Unfortunately for me, the Blue-throated Hummingbird was also still around as I found out later.  I wish I had put in some effort to look for it.

No comments: