Saturday, April 25, 2015

Frontera Audubon Thicket, 4/25/15

I ran into Mary Gustafson over at Frontera Audubon Thicket in Weslaco and we walked the trails and did pretty good.  Between the feeding stations we heard a "coo-coo-coo" and I suggested Black-billed Cuckoo. Mary spied it in the top on a tree but I missed it.  Luckily I found it again and got a photo by the visitor's center.  I probably average about one Black-billed Cuckoo every three years.


Earlier in the morning we heard a bubbly song which I thought was a House Wren but Mary said was a Mourning Warbler.  Ugh!  My spring warbler songs need a lot of work.  It was my first for the year.


When I visit South Padre Island, I start thinking I'm a pretty good bird photographer because the birds are so easy to approach.  But the brushy confines of Frontera jolt me back into reality.  Here's a Chestnut-sided Warbler.


And a Black-throated Green Warbler.


Any day you get a Black-billed Cuckoo is a very good day!

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck2
Plain Chachalaca  8
Green Heron  2
Turkey Vulture  2
Mississippi Kite 7
Inca Dove  2
White-tipped Dove  6
White-winged Dove  20
Black-billed Cuckoo  1
Chuck-will's-widow  3
Chimney Swift  5
Black-chinned Hummingbird 1
Buff-bellied Hummingbird  1
Green Kingfisher  1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker 6
Green Parakeet  2
Least Flycatcher  3
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Brown-crested Flycatcher  2
Great Kiskadee  1
Couch's Kingbird 1
White-eyed Vireo  3
Blue-headed Vireo  1
Warbling Vireo  1
Black-crested
Titmouse  2
Carolina Wren  2
Swainson's Thrush  1
Long-billed Thrasher 3
Northern Mockingbird  1
Black-and-white Warbler  3
Tennessee Warbler 2
Nashville Warbler  10
Mourning Warbler  1
Hooded Warbler  1
Northern Parula  1
Chestnut-sided Warbler 1
Black-throated Green Warbler  4
Yellow-breasted Chat  8
Olive Sparrow 3
Clay-colored Sparrow  1
Summer Tanager  1
Northern Cardinal  2
Painted
Bunting  7
Great-tailed Grackle  X
Orchard Oriole  1
Baltimore Oriole 2
Lesser Goldfinch  1
House Sparrow  2



No comments: