Sunday, October 9, 2016

South Padre Island, 10/8/16

A cool front shifted the winds from the SE to the NE so I hoped that might bring a few things into South Padre Island.  Not much was going on at Sheepshead.  Just an Indigo Bunting, Common Yellowthroat and Wilson's and Black-and-white Warblers and this Nashville.


So I moved up north to the Convention Center.  It took me just a few minutes to find this young male Scarlet Tanager.


I tried to draw it in with some judicious pishing but no luck.  However a curious duo of an American Redstart and a Yellow Warbler perched right up in my face.



A Swainson's Thrush skulked around the water feature.


This young White Ibis was probing the grass for goodies behind the Convention Center.


A fall plumaged Indigo Bunting and a Blue Grosbeak were also back there.



This basic plumaged hummer has a pretty long bill, grayish crown and a long tail so I guess that makes it a Black-chinned Hummingbird.


A cooperative Ruby-crowned Kinglet at the water feature.


And an uncooperative Summer Tanager.


Well, nothing spectacular but it's always worth the effort to check out SPI.

No comments: