Monday, December 25, 2017

Hammond's Flycatcher at Estero Llano Grande State Park, 12/25/17

I was over in Cameron County today looking for Burrowing Owls when I got a call call from Mary Gustafson telling me she and the Sniders had just found what was either a Hammond's or Dusky Flycatcher.  Well either one would be a new Hidalgo County bird for me so I rushed right over.  When I arrived at the the spot in the Tropical Zone, no one was around which was fine by me.  I either want folks there looking at the bird or no one there so I can find it on my own.  It only took me a few minutes to find a flock of wintering passerines and there was our little empid with them.  After taking a few photos I could they this bird had a tiny narrow bill and looked like a Hammond's Flycatcher to me.  I called Mary to tell here I had found the bird and she said Mark Lockwood had looked at the photos and pronounced it a Hammond's.  A little later I refound the bird and it was giving the distinctive Hammond's Flycatcher "beek" call. 





I think this may be a first Hidalgo County record and for me was Hidalgo County bird #392.


No comments: