Thursday, January 3, 2019

Golden-crowned Warbler at Frontera Audubon, 1/3/19

I had to run an errand today in Weslaco so I thought why not stop at Frontera Audubon and see the long-staying Golden-crowned Warbler.  I've seen at least seven of these once very rare Mexican Warblers but not this one that has been present since early November.  It took a while but eventually I had a very close encounter with the little beauty.  In fact it was feeding within three feet of me.  Wish my camera had performed a little better.  I've got about a half million exposures on it and it seems to be slowing down a little.




The Golden-crowned Warbler is Basileuterus culicivorus.  The genus Basileuterus has some pretty cool members in Mexico and farther south.  The other one that shows up in the US is the Rufous-capped Warbler which has become a local breeder in SE Arizona and shows up rarely on the edge of the Edwards Plateau in Texas.  Don't know why we don't get a few down here as they breed not too far away in Mexico.


No comments: