Monday, May 13, 2019

Mourning Warbler at Progreso Lakes, 5/13/19

After a couple of hard days of birding, I felt it was time to do some yard work.  So I weeded our little garden of Ichiban eggplants, bitter melons, hot peppers and Moringa.  After that I moved across the yard and start digging grass along our little native brush patch.  During this time I kept hearing "chip" notes from the brush.  I was wondering if it could be a Mourning Warbler.  After lunch I looked out the window and saw a yellow bird butt duck into the red Salvia.  Hmmm......   And then later after getting the mail I heard the call notes again.  So I sat on the back porch and watched the bird bath.  Nothing.  Time to get serious.  I pulled up the Mourning Warbler song from the Ibird app on my phone and gave it a blast.  Immediately I see a small shape come up behind the bird bath.  Yellow with a black chest.  Mourning Warbler!  Yard bird #208 had been expected for some time.





So over the past week we have gained four new yard birds and hosted ten species of warblers.

No comments: