Friday, November 27, 2020

Elegant Togon at Estero Llano Grande St Park, 11/27/20

 A few days ago, Troy and Marla Hibbetts were visiting in the Vally and Troy, who may be the best all around field biologist I've ever met, saw a flyby Elegant Trogon at Estero Llano Grande State Park in Weslaco.  He didn't get a photo but submitted an excellent drawing and description for his eBird submission.  I had no doubt in his sighting but I figured chances were slim that the trogon would ever be seen again.  Well as often is the case I was wrong and the Elegant Trogon was found in the Tropical Zone at Estero.  Lots of people got to see it yesterday and I made my try today.  As soon as I arrived Brad McKinney had the bird in view and I got some poor photos of this eighth Texas record.  I think it's a first fall female.




When I was at Estero a few days ago I missed the "lawrencei" Dusky-capped Flycatcher but birders had it pinned down for me today.  The crown on this east Mexican subspecies is much darker than the birds commonly seen in SE Arizona.



I didn't go after the trogon yesterday because I was on South Padre Island chasing after a Prairie Falcon.  Well, there wasn't much chasing involved as it just sit high on a ledge of a condo.  But it's been a long time nemesis for me in Cameron County and I am glad to count it as my 415th species for the county.


At the Convention Center was a couple of Cedar Waxings which are pretty uncommon.


And an American Robin.  Quite a few around this year.


Best bird was this young male Hooded Oriole which refused to cooperate.


Then I made a stop at the Valley Land Fund's Sheepshead lot for the long staying female Anna's Hummingbird.  It's been a few years since I've seen one in the RGV.




I had to run an errand in Weslaco this afternoon so I made a stop at Frontera Audubon.  I made a brief run through and didn't see much but I bet something good turns up soon.  I had to settle for this plucky little Black-throated Gray Warbler.  Seems every birding spot has one this fall.


The good birding continues as two Crimson-collared Grosbeaks were found at Quinta Mazatlan in McAllen today.  I don't know whether to chase them or find my own.

No comments: