Friday, March 3, 2023

Progreso Lakes, 3/3/23

Well I'm cleaning the SD card again and I have some pretty photos so I guess it's time for a blog post.  Green Jays are normally pretty uncommon in our neighborhood at Progreso Lakes so when I saw one eating the seed I put in the driveway for the doves and blackbirds, I decided to try and keep it around with more regular feeding.  It was joined by others and now I have a flock of four.  They like the seed but have really taken to fresh oranges.



We've also had as many as four Altamira Orioles hanging around.  It's been a couple of years since we have had a pair nest so I'm hoping they like our yard.


We are once again experiencing drought conditions in the Rio Grande Valley.  It's been a dry winter so the bird bath has been popular lately.  Pictured are Long-billed Thrasher, Eurasian Collared-Dove, Common Yellowthroat and Black-crested Titmouse.





Food is getting hard to find out in the brush country so our potato tree is popular.  Plain Chachalaca, Great Kiskadee and a Clay-colored Thrush are all searching for berries.




Our first Gray Catbird of the sping likes the fiddlewood berries.


A couple of days ago I went over to Resaca de la Palma State Park near Brownsville to look for a reported Tropical Parula.  I couldn't find it but got lucky with this Golden-crowned Kinglet.  Normally there are very few around here during winter but this has been a good winter for them.



But a couple of days later both the Tropical Parula and a female Blue Bunting were found, so I guess I didn't do a very good job.












 


No comments: