Thursday, August 8, 2024

Western Flycatcher at South Padre Island, 8/8/24

 I ran out to South Padre Island this morning to see what early migrant passerines might be about.  A stop at the Sheepshead lot turned up a Least Flycatcher but not much else.  A couple of volunteers were cleaning up the guinea grass that had gone crazy afther the recent rain so anything else may have gotten flushed.

Then I ran up to the Convention Center and walked over to the water feature and an Empidonax immediately perched over the trickle of water.  It was in heavy shade but I saw what appeared to be a sloppy eye ring so I just assumed it was another Least Flycatcher.  But it  sat there and dared me to take photos.  Then I noticed it was greenish with yellowish underparts like a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher.  But It didn't have a bold even eye ring.  Instead the eye ring pointed toward the rear like a tear drop.  And the bill was too big.  Then it hit me.  Western Flycatcher!  I had seen several just a few weeks ago in SE Arizona.






According to eBird, this is the first Western Flycatcher for South Padre Island and I am guessing a first August record for the Rio Grande Valley.  Previously Western Flycatcher had been split into the West Coast's Pacific-slope Flycatcher and the Rocky Mountains' Cordilleran Flycatcher.  The only difference being a slight variation between their calls and songs.  Most winters one is found somewhere in the RGV.  All that have been identified were assigned to Pacific-Slope Flycatcher.  They normally winter at low elevations along the west coast of Mexico.  There was a major invasion into the Valley during the winter of 2020-21.  Fortunately the two species were relumped after it was decided there was little evidence for the initial split.

So which one is this?  On my recent trip to SE Arizona I spoke with a number of Cordillearan Flycatchers.  I imitate their call with a whistled "hoo-heet".  They often answer back when they are on territory.  I learned this while living nine years in SE Arizona.  So I whistled to this lost Western Flycatcher and it answered with a couple of single syllable "heet's.  Not sure what that means.  But if I had to bet money I am guessing this is a Cordilleran Flycathcer displaced by the one of the many fires raging across the Rocky Mountains.

My only other migrants for the morning were the expected Black-and-white Warbler and a surprise immature Dickcissel.



It may be hot 'n nasty out there but there are plenty of insects for brave migrant birds.  Yellow and Mourning Warblers and Yellow-breassted Chats should be showing up soon.

No comments: