Sunday, April 29, 2007

Frontera Audubon Thicket, 4/29/07

Got a late start today. Slept in till 8 which is pretty late for me. With school work to do, I wasn't going birding today, but then I looked out the bathroon window at the drip under the pittosporum and saw Kentucky Warbler, Gray Catbird and a singing Swainson's Thrush so I couldn't help myself. Mostly the same birds as yesterday at Frontera and it was really warm and humid. I was thinking about heading home and then I ran into Sean Smith who had just seen a female Black-throated Blue Warbler. That's a bird I need for the county list. They're rare as a spring migrant along the coast and really hard to find inland. I spent the next two hours wandering around looking for it and eventually found it next to the blind by the pond, the exact same place where Sean had originally found it. I only got to see the bird for a few seconds, noting the field marks, before it wandered into the dense brush. Still counts as Hidalgo County bird # 328. On the way out I refound the Black-billed Cuckoo who was laughing at me while I tried to photopgraph it with a dead battery. Oh well, still a good morning.

Here's a couple of bad warbler pics. No, actually they're good warblers. Just bad pics.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck 5
Plain Chachalaca 12
Neotropic Cormorant 1
Great Egret 1
Green Heron 1
Turkey Vulture 1
Laughing Gull 5
White-winged Dove 4
Mourning Dove 2
Inca Dove 4
White-tipped Dove 10
Black-billed Cuckoo 1
Chimney Swift 3
Golden-fronted Woodpecker 4
Ladder-backed Woodpecker 1
Olive-sided Flycatcher 1
Acadian Flycatcher 1
Brown-crested Flycatcher 5
Great Kiskadee 4
Couch's Kingbird 1
White-eyed Vireo 3
Blue-headed Vireo 2
Warbling Vireo 1
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 3
Black-crested Titmouse 4
Carolina Wren 2
Swainson's Thrush 3
Wood Thrush 1
Gray Catbird 4
Northern Mockingbird 2
Long-billed Thrasher 2
Blue-winged Warbler 1
Tennessee Warbler 3
Chestnut-sided Warbler 1
Magnolia Warbler 1
Black-throated Blue Warbler 1
Black-throated Green Warbler 2
Blackburnian Warbler 1
Black-and-white Warbler 3
American Redstart 1
Ovenbird 1
Yellow-breasted Chat 3
Summer Tanager 1
Olive Sparrow 2
Northern Cardinal 3
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 1
Indigo Bunting 1
Painted Bunting 1
Great-tailed Grackle 5
Bronzed Cowbird 2
Lesser Goldfinch 2
House Sparrow 5

No comments: