Sunday, April 8, 2007

South Padre Island, 4/8/07

I took Honey to work at 6 AM and went back home. The choice was to crawl back into my nice warm bed or head out in the cold windy drizzly darkness to South Padre Island to see what the storm had grounded. Sanity is not my strong point so I chose the later. I went by way of Rio Hondo and Hwy 106 to see the large flock of Fulvous Whistling Ducks and American Golden Plovers. The ducks were there along with the lingering Snow Goose but I could only find two plovers. Saw my first Pectoral Sandpipers for the year. A Mallard was unusual for Cameron County. Here's a photogenic Willet. Don't know if it's eastern or western and I don't care.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Headed over to the Island. There were a few migrants grounded by the cold wet weather. Best bird was a male Varied Bunting at the Convention Center which I saw for 0.89 seconds. Still counts as a county bird! Saw a couple of wet Upland Sandpipers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Here's a few cooperative warblers.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This Brown Trasher is rare for south Texas.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments: