Wednesday, July 22, 2015

La Feria Nature Park, 7/22/15

I've been reading lately on Facebook about people seeing King Rails at the La Feria Nature Park.  Actually people have been seeing them there for several years so I figured today might be a good time to give it a try. It took a while but I eventually found them.  Or I should say they eventually came out when they felt like it. At least everyone is calling them King Rails but you couldn't prove it by me.  They could have easily been Clapper Rails but I guess since they're in fresh water we call them King Rails.  Or maybe there's stuff I don't know.  Ya think?


Honey and I are planning a trip to China in September and after researching for a good pocket point-and-shoot I settled on the Sony Cyber-shot DCS-RX100.  It's a new three year old model that costs half as much as the current model.  The camera came yesterday so I gave it a try on the Swarovski scope and it worked really well.  Much better than that piece of junk bulbous Swarovski  DSLR scope adapter.


When I first got there my camera settings were screwed up from yesterday's digiscoping of the Collared Plover so this young King Rail didn't come out so good.


Here's a shot of a Green Heron from the Sony handheld on the scope.



Here's one of a young Loggerhead Shrike from the Sony and scope followed by one with the Canon 7D Mark II with the Canon 100-400 IS II.  Colors are a little different and depth of field is different but the digiscoped image came out well.




I would have had some more photos but the photographer failed his equipment.  Anyway I really like the La Feria Nature Park and will have to check it out from time to time.

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck40
Mottled Duck  5
Neotropic Cormorant  8
Great Egret  3
Snowy Egret 6
Green Heron  3
Roseate Spoonbill  6
King Rail  2
Black-necked Stilt  8
Killdeer  4
Lesser Yellowlegs  3
Stilt
Sandpiper  23
Least Sandpiper  8
Semipalmated Sandpiper  2
Laughing Gull 3
White-winged Dove  3
Mourning Dove  3
Chimney Swift  1
Tropical Kingbird 1
Loggerhead Shrike  2
Purple Martin  1
Bank Swallow  2
Cave Swallow 1
Great-tailed Grackle  5

No comments: