Sunday, January 3, 2016

Crimson-collared Grosbeak at Frontera, 1/3/16

It took me about eight hours total but I finally got to see the Crimson-collared Grosbeak at Frontera Audubon this morning.  I've seen lots of them so it's no big deal.  Except for the fact that this is a very range restricted species occurring only in NE Mexico.  So it's a treat that we get see one every now and then.



I got to see the Yellow-throated Warbler today raising my warbler total for this new year to nine species.


Afterwards I drove down to the muddy flood channel south of Estero and tromped around trying to flush the Short-eared Owl without any success.  Most of the gates are locked so I had to drive in from Mercedes.  I'll try again in a few days.  I did get a Sprague's Pipit at the usual spot on the levee so it was a worthwhile trip.



No comments: