Friday, January 1, 2016

Frontera Audubon Thicket, 1/1/16

Happy New Year!  Spent the day at the Frontera Audubon Thicket in Weslaco hoping to see the Crimson-collared Grosbeak found a couple of days ago.  I failed to find it nor did I see the Black-headed Grosbeak or Tropical Parula but I still had a good day.  Cold and wet seems to suit thrushes and I saw four species today.  Unfortunately I could not get a photo of the Wood Thrush which is rare in winter.  I did see three Hermit Thrushes.


And two American Robins.


And an amazing twenty Clay-colored Thrushes.  I had eleven in view at once feeding on fallen anacua berries.  I sure at least some of these have wandered over from Mexico.


Warblerwise I saw eight species and missed the reported Tropical Parula and Yellow-throated Warbler so at least ten species of warblers are present in the Thicket.  Here's a Northern Parula.



And an Ovenbird.  Photography was tough today.  Just about all shots were slower than 1/50 th of a second.


This Black-throated Green Warbler is trying to intimidate me.


This Olive Sparrow found a place out of the wind on this feeder.



Black-bellied Whistling-Duck 28
Plain Chachalaca 12
Great Egret 1
Snowy Egret 1
Black Vulture 1
Turkey Vulture 150
Inca Dove 7
White-tipped Dove 12
Buff-bellied Hummingbird 1
Green Kingfisher 1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker 3
Ladder-backed Woodpecker 1
Eastern Phoebe 1
Great Kiskadee 2
White-eyed Vireo 2
Blue-headed Vireo 1
Green Jay 2
Black-crested Titmouse 5
Carolina Wren 2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 2
Hermit Thrush 3
Wood Thrush 1
American Robin 2
Long-billed Thrasher 4
Northern Mockingbird 10
European Starling 1
Ovenbird 1
Black-and-white Warbler 1
Orange-crowned Warbler 4
Northern Parula 1
Pine Warbler 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) 4
Black-throated Green Warbler 1
Wilson's Warbler 1
Olive Sparrow 1
Lincoln's Sparrow 1
Swamp Sparrow 1
Northern Cardinal 10
Great-tailed Grackle 1
House Sparrow 4

No comments: