Sunday, January 3, 2010

Sparrows on Weslaco CBC, 1/3/10

Today on the Weslaco Christmas Bird Count I worked my usual area, the flood channel adjacent to Estero Llano Grande State Park from FM 88 to Mercedes. Sparrows were more numerous than in recent years. Best was my Hidalgo County first Leconte's Sparrow.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I also saw 17 Grasshopper Sparrows, a personnal one day high,

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This Cassin's Sparrow seems unusually red to me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I almost ran over this Sprague's Pipit.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Luckily this Tropical Kingbird called or I wouldn't have been able to separate it from Couch's.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I finished the long day with a Short-eared Owl at 6PM and got the counts only Bobwhite in my headlights on the way back in to the countdown.

No comments: