Saturday, September 15, 2007

Allen's Hummingbird at Bentsen State Park, 9/15/07

Thanks to Mary Gustafson for refinding and reporting the adult male Allen's Hummingbird at Bentsen State Park's World Birding Center. My wife Honey and I spent about an hour this evening watching the feeder on the north side of the offices. Honey found the bird perched in the small ash near the men's restroom near the feeder. I told her it was because she was wearing her lucky ...er...uhm...never mind. Here's some not too great pics.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Mary is trying to catch the bird to see if it is indeed an Allen's Hummingbird as a small percentage of adult male Rufous Hummingbirds show a green back. She will have to examine the shape of the next to middle rectrices. If she can't prove it's really an Allen's I just may count it anyway. I need it for a state and county bird!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a photographer wishing to come to Weslaco to photograph the Buff-Bellied hummingbird. Can you suggest a cabin or B&B that has hummingbird feeders where I might stay, or other place to find this bird?
TCL
Belton, TX