Wednesday, March 19, 2008

White-throated Robin in Pharr, 3/19/08

Allen Williams found another good bird in his yard yesterday, a White-throated Robin. His yard is famous for past mega-rarities like Crimson-collared Grosbeak, Blue Mockingbird, Slate-throated Redstart and Blue bunting. Wow! What a yard list! I think this is about the 8th or 9th record of White-throated Robin for the USA and I've seen four of them.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Earlier Honey and I made a trip out to South Padre Island to look for spring migrants. Other than Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, Barn and Tree Swallows and Scissor-tailed Flycatchers there were few migrant passerines. Best bird was two Groove-billed Anis. First I've ever seen on the Island.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I haven't posted anything on the blog lately as birding has been really boring. This is always the case in March. The winter birds are leaving and the spring migrants haven't arrived. So there's less birds around. The last couple of Saturdays I've checked out Frontera. Not much going on. This Ash-throated Flycatcher was a first for the park.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2 comments:

Mel said...

I'll wait for your posts again :)

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the Black-headed Nightingale Thrush that was seen in Allen Willams' yard too! What a yard list!