Thursday, May 8, 2008

Piratic Flycatcher at Pollywog Pond, 5/5/08

Satuday while doing the Central Coast division of the GCBO's Great Texas Bird Count, Gene Blacklock, one of Tezas's all time great bird experts found a Piratic Flycatcher on the trail into Pollywog Pond near Corpus Christi. Unfortunately my computer was down and I didn't get the word till late Sunday. When I saw on Texbirds that the bird was still present on Monday morning I made the decision to go for it. This necessitated sneaking out of work an hour and a half early and making the two plus hour drive and finding the bird before it got dark. It didn't help that I misread the directions and spend nearly two hours trying to find Pollywog Pond. I finally got there at 7 PM and only one car was present. Down the trail I found Jack Revare from Kansas City who had been looking for the bird for an hour. He pointed at the famous mullberry tree where the bird had spent the last two days. I looked up and there he was! There is only half a dozen records for Piratic Flycatcher north of Mexico so this was a good tick for the ABA list and the Texas list. Unfortunately the bird was never seen again after we left.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments: