Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Bare-throated Tiger-Heron at Bentsen St. Pk., 1/6/10

Finally!!! This morning I only had to wait about two hours before getting some great looks at the Bare-throated Tiger-Heron. Today it showed well near the dumpsters behind the WBC buildings. I've seen many of them in Mexico but this first ABA record is mighty cool. Notice the brown spot on its shoulder. That is an old feather from the barred juvenile plumage.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Got some other good year birds. Like the Rock Wren still present at Anzalduas.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Also at Anzalduas I ticked the Black Phoebe and Geen Kingfisher.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I missed the Hooded Merganser for the third time. A Black-throated Gray Warbler was nice but I didn't try to get a pic. American Pipits are always photogenic at Anzalduas.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

3 comments:

david said...

Wow! Great tiger heron photos -- glad your patience finally paid off! I have to enjoy it from afar....

Jochen said...

The legs of the pipit seem a bit pale, could be an effect of the light though.
Have you checked for the Siberian form of Buff-bellied?
And yeah, what David said: neat pics of an awesome bird.

Anonymous said...

It is very interesting for me to read that blog. Thanks the author for it. I like such topics and anything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Best wishes