Sunday, April 4, 2010

Northern Jacana at Santa Ana NWR, 4/4/10

I was snoozing comfortably this morning when Mary Gustafson called to tell me Huck Hutchens had just found a Northern Jacana at Santa Ana NWR. Well this is a pretty good Hidalgo County year tick so I ran over and luckily another birder had refound the jacana at Pintail Lake. It seems to be a young bird just molting into adult plumage.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

After giving up on trying to get a good pic of the jacana I decided to go over to Willow Lake to look for my county year tick Louisiana Waterthrush. I found one right where I have seen them in years past on the northeast end of the lake.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I spent a couple of hours yesterday morning on the hawk tower at Santa Ana hoping to maybe see some interesting migrants passing through. Not a lot going on but five Mississippi Kites were nice.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments: