Wednesday, February 18, 2015

White-throated Thrush at Estero, 2/18/15

A White-throated Thrush was found about ten days ago at Estero Llano Grande State Park in Weslco.  I missed seeing it the first day and then left the next for NE Texas.  The thrush was seen the next day but then disappeared till I got a brief glimpse of it this past Satuday.  Meanwhile yesterday someone reported seeing an all black thrush with a yellow bill and yellow eye ring.  Could this have been the first US record of the Mexican Black Thrush?  I thought it was worth a search.  I put in four hours but nary a trace.  However I did get to see the White-throated Thrush.  This is the fifth I've seen in the RGV.



The White-throated Thrush has been feeding lately in a large fruiting Banyan (Ficus religiosa).  Several Clay-colored Thrushes were also taking advantage of the small figs.


It's not every day one can see three Turdus species in the same location.  Here's an American Robin.


Identification of soaring hawks has become more complicated this winter by the presence of Broad-winged Hawks across the Valley.  This one has been hanging out at Estero.

This Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet has been a lifer for many visitors to the park.


A Black Thrush in the RGV would be really neat.  Let's hope there is one and that someone can photograph it.  Namely me!




No comments: