Monday, July 27, 2015

Glossy Ibises on Brushline Road, 7/27/15

A few days ago Mary Gustafson reported a Glossy Ibis from the big pond on Brushline Road about a mile south of TX 186.  I ran over there this morning and was surprised to find a beautiful adult Glossy Ibis hanging around with about 20 White-faced Ibises.  It's my first time to see a full breeding plumaged Glossy. In the second photo the Glossy is on the left.




After I got home, I discovered two younger Glossy Ibises in my photos.  In fact these two were cropped from the same photo.



Also present was this strange dark ibis with a white neck patch.  Mary says that's a what a newly fledged Glossy Ibis should look like but she wasn't sure if a new White-faced Ibis might be the same.  Maybe Glossies are breeding nearby.


My original purpose for driving out to Brushline road was to tick a Purple Gallinule for the year on my Hidalgo County list.  And on the fourth try I finally got one albeit a poor view.


I started the morning at the playa in Hargill where I got the Reddish Egret on my county year list.


And also a couple of Black Skimmers were .....uhm.....skimming.  Tough to get both of these species away from the coast.


And then there was the continuing star at the top of the Hargill Playa marquee, our little lovable Collared Plover who put on a good show.



Here's the list from the Hargill Playa including thirteen species of shorebirds.

Hargill Playa, Hidalgo, Texas, US
Jul 27, 2015 7:40 AM - 9:10 AM
Protocol: Stationary
32 species

Fulvous Whistling-Duck  1
Northern Bobwhite 1
Neotropic Cormorant  25
Great Blue Heron  1
Great Egret  1
Snowy Egret 10
Reddish Egret  1
White-tailed Kite  1
Black-necked Stilt  20
American Avocet 8
Collared Plover  1
Snowy Plover  3
Wilson's Plover  2
Killdeer  6
Greater Yellowlegs  2
Lesser
Yellowlegs  2
Stilt Sandpiper  10
Least Sandpiper  50
Semipalmated Sandpiper 2
Western Sandpiper  4
Long-billed Dowitcher  4
Laughing Gull  40
Least Tern5
Gull-billed Tern  48
Black Tern 5
Black Skimmer  2
Western Kingbird  1
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher  1
Horned
Lark  2
Dickcissel  2
Red-winged Blackbird  1
House Sparrow  1






No comments: