Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Frontera Audubon, 8/8/16

I ran over to Frontera Audubon this morning hoping something unusual like a Prothonotary Warbler or maybe a Yellow-throated Vireo, both of which I need for the county year list.  As expected I didn't see those but I did find my first Yellow-bellied Flycatcher for the fall.


Is it a pitta or a tesia?  No it a tailless Olive Sparrow.


A stop at the feeding station turned up something rustling in the nearby plumbago.  I thought it would be a warbler or maybe a wren, but it turned out to be a young Common Gallinule which I later photographed on the pond ,which is right behind the feeding station.


Also on the pond was a Solitary Sandpiper and a couple of Least Sandpipers.



Back along the east side of the wetlands I flushed the Louisiana Waterthrush, heard a Yellow Warbler and got a photo of this Least Flycatcher.


Buff-bellied Hummingbirds were really common.  I entered 15 on eBird but there may have been more.



On my second loop around the trails I found a couple of Black-and-white Warblers and a bit later two more of them which I assumed were different birds.


So it was a toasty but productive morning

Frontera Audubon Center, Hidalgo, Texas, US
Aug 8, 2016 7:40 AM - 12:10 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
43 species

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck (fulgens) 19
Plain Chachalaca 10
Green Heron 3
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron 3
Gray Hawk 1
Common Gallinule (American) 1
Killdeer 3
Least Sandpiper 2
Solitary Sandpiper 2
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 1
Inca Dove 5
White-tipped Dove 10
White-winged Dove 550
Mourning Dove 3
Chimney Swift 3
Buff-bellied Hummingbird 15
Ringed Kingfisher 1
Green Kingfisher 1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker (Northern) 5
Ladder-backed Woodpecker 2
Green Parakeet (Green) 2
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher 1
Least Flycatcher 3
Brown-crested Flycatcher 2
Great Kiskadee 2
Couch's Kingbird 5
White-eyed Vireo 4
Green Jay (Green) 2
Black-crested Titmouse 3
Carolina Wren 3
Clay-colored Thrush 6
Long-billed Thrasher 2
Northern Mockingbird 5
Louisiana Waterthrush 1
Black-and-white Warbler 4
Yellow Warbler (Northern) 1
Olive Sparrow 4
Northern Cardinal 3
Red-winged Blackbird 6
Great-tailed Grackle 8
Orchard Oriole 2
Lesser Goldfinch 5
House Sparrow 5


No comments: