Thursday, January 19, 2017

Progreso Lakes, 1/17/17

Put in several hours today working on the yard list for our new house at Progreso Lakes.  Actually I don't know if you can count sitting by the resaca as working but it was pretty productive.  Best bird was a surprise Franklin's Gull.  I thought I might get a migrating flock in the spring but not a lonely fly by in January.


Otherwise ducks were the order of the day with ten species.  Mary G. stopped by with a couple of birding clients and they were happy to twitch a lifer, Fulvous Whistling-Duck.


A male Redhead was new for the year list.


The American Wigeons were still hanging around.


A flash of orange flying across the water signaled another new species for the yard.  But all I could get was this poor photo of the Altamira Oriole.  I'm sure I'll get other chances to photograph one.


Otherwise it saw the same old gang.  I don't get tired of the Ringed Kingfisher.


Osprey on the prowl.


Spotted Sandpiper bobbing on a rock.


And golden-slippered Snowy Egret flapping past.


The yard list is up to 108.

No comments: