Friday, April 6, 2018

South Padre Island, 4/6/18

I wanted to drive up the beach again at South Padre Island today but I got up too late.  So I decided to just head out to the Island and hope some migrant passerines might be about.  It was pretty slow but patience paid off and I would up seeing some good birds.  Justin Le Claire was kind enough to post on the hotline that a Swainson's Warbler was being seen at the Convention Center.  It took some work but I finally managed a fair photo.


I had given up on seeing the Worm-eating Warbler seen much earlier in the day.  But finally it made a brief appearance at the water feature.



This Painted Bunting seems to have a wing injury that is maybe why it was so photogenic.  My photo is of the good side.


Female Hooded Warbler.


Myrtle Warblers are starting to thin out.  They go back north early.


A Summer Tanager in the bottle brush.


This nighthawk swooped around several times but I could not tell which one it was.  However after checking the photo and reading Sibley, I guess it's a Lesser Nighthawk.  The white patch on the primaries extends past the tertials on this bird.


Earlier in the day I had stopped at the Valley Land Fund's Sheepshead lot and not seen much.  Another stop gave brief glimpses of a Blue-winged Warbler and two cooperative Palm Warblers.  I don't think I have ever seen more than one at a time.



So overall I saw eleven species of warblers.  Spring is off to a good start.



No comments: