Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Hermit Warbler at South Padre Island, 10/20/20

Yesterday a Broad-billed Hummingbird was photographed at the Convention Center on South Padre Island.  I saw the alert on WhatsApp at about 4pm and decided it was too late to make the long drive ou there for this first Cameron County record.  Well I finally got over there at 9 this morning and missed the bird by a couple of minutes.  And then it failed to show over the next five hours.  I was about to give up when the WhatsApp dinged again and this time it was Javi Gonzalez over at the SPI Birding Center and he had just found a Hermit Warbler.  I saw the one at the Convention Center five years ago but I can't say no to a Hermit Warbler.  I guess this is an adult female.  So the string of lost western birds on South Padre Island continues.





Afterwards I returned to the Convention Center and found this late immature female Canada Warbler.  I don't know if I've ever seen this plumage before.



Yesterday I was looking for butterflies in our little brush patch at Progreso Lakes when I came across this plucky little Hooded Warbler.  It was only the second I've seen in our yard.  He made sure to keep a few twigs in the way to make photography difficult.



I'm still hoping that Broad-billed Hummer shows up at a feeder on the Island somewhere.


No comments: