Sunday, September 10, 2023

South Padre Island, Willacy County 9/6/23

Ron Weeks came down a few days ago to work on his Willacy County list.  He has about fifteen Texas counties with over 300 species of birds seen and is just a few away from that total in Willacy County.  So we made a run up the beach on South Padre Island to see if we could add a few.  My total is at 292 and I'm just parely staying ahead of Ron.  Well he wound up with a distant Brown Booby at the Port Mansfield Channel jetty which was new for him.  I was right next to him and think I got on the bird but it was very distant through the scope and I failed to see many field marks so I'm not counting it.  My best bird was this striking adult Lesser Black-backed Gull.  At the time I thought it might be a new county bird for me but turns out I had already seen one.




Se saw about a dozen Common Terns which are uncommon down here, especially in breeding plumage.




Weirdest bird of the day goes to this misplaced female Cinammon Teal.  We did see a couple of migrant teal flocks that we called Blue-winged.



Ron was wanting a Red Knot for Willacy County but the only one we saw was in Cameron County.


Otherwise is was just the usual stuff like the ultra long billed Long-billed Curlew.


Plenty of Brown Pelicans.


The only Herring Gull was this adult.


A nice day with a very drivable beach for a change.  Tomorrow I'm off for a solo trip to Agentina.  I haven't been out of the country since our pre covid trip to Australia in 2019.  It's gonna be cold in Tierra del Fuego.  Hope I can find some birds.

No comments: