Friday, November 10, 2023

Blackie the Evil Ruby-throated Hummingbird, 11/3/23

It's been a very good fall for hummingbirds at our Progreso Lakes yard.  This dark Archilochus hummer really got my attention.  I guess it's a melanistic Ruby-throated Hummingbird.  It hung around for at least five days where it took charge over one of the feeders but I'm not seeing it today.  I've seen lots of photos of leucistic hummers but never a melanistic one.




This Ruby-throat had a little extra white on the tail.


A month ago we had a visiting male Rufous Hummingbird for just one day.  I posted photos on eBird and was surprised to get a Facebook message from a hummingbird enthusisast who regularly peruses eBird hummer photos.  He told me there was a band on the Rufous and wondered if I was a bander.  Well I'm not one but this got me looking at the photos and I was able to flesh out most or all of the number.







Eventually I came up with F06195.  I sent the number to the hummer fan but have made no efforts myself to track down the bander and location.  Something to do.  Hummers are always fun.

 

No comments: