Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Yturria Brush, 5/7/24

Yesterday I made a butterfly run out to the Yturria Brush tract of the Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR.  The high temperature for tomorrow is forecast to be 108F so I wanted to check it out before everything gets fried.  Turns out I was too late.  Vegetation was already crispy and there were few butterflies so I switched to birds who were singing their heads off.

As I approached the brushy monte about a half mile north of the new parking area on Vanderpool Road I heard the squeaky call of a Groove-billed Ani.  I whistled an imitation of its call and one promply flew in to check me out.


Then it was joined by a second who tried to offer the first a small grasshoppper and then they proceeded to copulate.  My oh my!




Well that was unexpected.  Other passerines were calling so I responded with my best imitation of a Ferruginous Pygmy Owl.  I was hoping for Varied bunting but all I got were the common Painted Buntings.  Here's a strangly colored young male.


Adult and young White-eyed Vireos came in to investigate.


As did a migrant American Redstart.


The major find for the day were several Plain Chachalacas.  It was a first for me on the refuge and only the second eBird record, the first being from 1999.


After tomorrow's excruciating heat it supposted to cool off a bit and maybe even rain.  Might be a good time to head to SPI for late migrants.

No comments: