Thursday, July 28, 2011

Long-billed or Short-billed Dowitchers? 7/28/11

After I posted on Texbirds that I had three dowitchers that I wasn't too sure about at the Sugar House Pond, I received an email from Justin Bosler stating that because of the date these might be Short-billed as they migrate earlier than Long-billed. I'm leaning towards Long-billed because of the feather edgings on the back but I may be misinterpreting this character. There were four of these birds were at the Sugar House Pond today.













I also photographed these three today at the Bucy Road Pond near Hargill. I also think they are Long-billed.







1 comment:

Jochen said...

This will not help you much, but I find Short-billed and Long-billed Dowitchers have a very different facial expression, a different "feel" when you look at their head/eyes/profile. Following this "soft character", this approach by intuition, I lean towards Short-billeds.