Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Looking for county year birds, 2/3/16

A pretty male Blue Bunting was found this past weekend at Frontera Audubon in Weslaco and I was going to look for it this morning, but there was a big wad of cars in the parking lot like yesterday so I said "T'ell with it."  Instead I ran over to the McAllen Nature Center to look for the wintering Spotted Towhee.  Ken Wilson was there doing the same thing.  It took a while but Ernesto  found it for us.


Well, that was good.  Could I get lucky and find the White-throated Sparrow at Quinta Mazatlan?  I raced over and got the report that it had been seen in several different spots over the past few weeks.  I searched a bit and thought maybe it would do like the towhees a few years ago and hang out by the feeding station by the amphitheater.  I didn't have to wait very long. Soon there it was scratching in the leaf litter in the shade just like I expected.



Well I was now two for two.  Why not got back to Frontera now that the day is already a success?  After arriving I head the Blue Bunting had been seen again.  I spent a couple of hours looking unsuccessfully but was happy to finally get the Black-headed Grosbeak for the year.


White waiting at one of the feeding stations and chatting with visiting birders, the Tropical Parula popped in for a viewing.


When I found this young Altimira Oriole nine days ago it was in the company of the Crimson-colored Grosbeak.  Today it was alone.  Someone saw the grosbeak this afternoon but I was in the wrong spot.


The morning started with this American Robin in our back yard.  I think it's only the second time we've had one.






.

No comments: