Thursday, February 13, 2020

Rose-throated Becard at Resaca de la Palma, 2/13/20

A Rose-throated Becard and a Dusky-capped Flycatcher have been hanging out near the visitor's center at Resaca de La Palma State Park near Brownsville for the past week so I figured it was time to check them out.  These are not super rare in the Valley and in recent years have been occurring almost annually.  I got the becard with little problem and it even sat up in the sunshine for me.  Unfortunately I was photographing in cloudy conditions yesterday and my ISO was set at 1600 so what should have been pretty good photos came out a little grainy.  This is an immature male Rose-throated Becard.  An adult male would be gray with a brighter red throat.





Unfortunately I could not find the Dusky-capped Flycatcher.  The few we get from east Mexico are of the lawrencei subspecies which is more brightly colored than the birds commonly seen in SE Arizona.


No comments: