Monday, February 8, 2021

Wood Duck at Progreso Lakes, 2/7/21

This morning I looked out the window and saw a funky shaped duck swimming in the early morning shade in the resaca behind our house at Progreso Lakes.  I picked up the binoculars and was pretty surprised to see it was a drake Wood Duck.  So I grabbed the camera and ran outside just as the Wood Duck swam into the sunshine.  I wish it had been a little closer but I was happy to get these shots of our third ever Wood Duck.  What a magnificent bird!




A little later our new neighbor across the water took his canoe out for a morning outing and proceeded to stip up all the Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks.  As he paddled east, the ducks flew back to our west end of the lake and started to pile up.



I scoped the flock which I estimated be about 2500 and managed to pull out six Fulvous Whistling-Ducks.


Here's my first Blue-winged Teal for the month with a Black-belly photo bomb.


So this is the third Wood Duck we've had in four years at Progreso Lakes and I consider them more rare than Canvasback which we've had twice and much more rare than Cinnamon Teal which we've only had once.  And we've yet to see a Bufflehead, Hooded Merganser or Mallard which are not any more rare than Wood Duck.  So we are either due some more ducks or we've had more than our fair share of Wood Ducks.

No comments: