Sunday, March 13, 2022

Some Bentsen Stuff, 3/13/22

The dull winter of 2021-22 is almost over.  The Bat Falcon finally seems to be gone but the Social Flycatcher is still being reported.  Otherwise not a lot around though a few spring warblers are starting to show.  I dropped Honey off at the gym in Mission today and headed over to Bentsen State Park to give the Audubon's Oriole another go.  It took a while but I finally got a brief look at the Green Jay feeding station.  Audubon's Orioles are being reported more frquently in the Valley in the past few years and I'm thinking it may be a result of the long time drought.


A Hooded Oriole was photogenic.




Altamira Orioles were in good supply.


Great Kiskadee came in for a drink.  This rambunctious big mouth might be my favorite species.



Green Jays are hard to resist.


Day before yesterday I took the wife to a gym in Brownsville and I went after the Social Flycatcher at UTRGV.  I saw seven species of warblers but no Social.  Unfortunately the warblers were all very uncooperative live this uncommon Black-throated Gray Warbler.


But the day was saved by a big black hawk that flew by carrying prey.  I though it had flown way past the assembled group of Social Flycatcher hunters, but it was actually right over our heads.  I was the only one to get a close up shot of this Zone-tailed Hawk eating a European Starling.  Good for it!



Speaking of hawks, a very rare for South Texas Rough-legged Hawk has spent the past two winters up by Riviera in Kleberg County.  I finally went up to look for it and it took me two hours before the darn thing finally flew right over my head.



Spring is on the way and time for people to start finding some good stuff.

No comments: