Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Tropical Parula, Kentucky Warbler at Progreso Lakes, 3/29/22

I tend to be a creature of habit and one of my habits is to brush my teeth after breakfast and take a look out the window at the bird bath.  Well this little blue and yellow guy made me spit out my toothbrush and go running for the camera.  This Tropical Parula was the 244th species sighted from our yard.  It was not unexpected as I imagine the range of this taxon is extending northward with warming climate.



With a good bird in the bag and howling winds on tap for the day I decided to run errands during the morning.  After lunch I thought I'd watch the bird bath a while.  Mr. Northern Cardinal was getting his vitamin C.


While the Hooded Oriole awaited his turn.


Then a couple of warbler sized birds flew into the dead ash tree.  Here's a poor shot of a Yellow-throated Warbler.


And I finally got a shot of the colorful male Audubon's Yellow-rumped Warbler that's been hanging around, though not a good one.


After chasing these two warblers, I was on the north end of our little brush patch when I briefly glimpsed what looked like a yellow warbler with a black mask.  First thing that came to mine was Kentucky Warbler.  I fired the camera in the general area and all I got was a mostly hidden Carolina Wren.  That wasn't my bird.  Then a small bird with yellow underparts with a black mask popped in front of me in the potato tree.  Woops, it was the Tropical Parula.



Great to see the parula again but I wasn't convinced that was the same bird I had glimpsed a couple of minutes earlier.  So I turned the corner and peered down an opening and saw something yellow and green streak across the ground.  I waited it out and it came into the open for some poor shots.  This Kentucky Warbler is the 245th species for our yard list.



With three new yard birds in the past nine day the spring is off to a great start.  A front comes in tomorrow and turns the wind around so maybe that will bring in some more good stuff.

No comments: