Tuesday, November 17, 2020

First American Robin at Progreso Lakes, 11/17/20

This morning I was throwing out some seed in our driveway at Progreso Lakes when I heard some clucks and squeels overhead.  It took me a second but I soon recognized the sound which I have known since childhood.  I looked up and saw an American Robin and then several more.



I followed them into the back yard where I eventually counted eleven as they flew off to the east.  Later I saw a few American Robins across the water and and when they took flight the flock swirled up as they often do making it easier to count them.  I came up with 27.  I will assume my first flock was part of the second but maybe we just have a lot of robins around.  Anyway they were yard bird #232 which isn't too bad considering I submitted our first eBird list exactly four years ago today.

A few days ago I stepped out on the back porch first thing in the morning and our wintering Lesser Scaup flock swam into view.  And a couple of visitors joined them.  This pair of Canvasbacks are only the second sighting for our yard.  They were the 201st bird of the year.  So today's American Robins put our Progreso Lakes yard list at 202 for 2020.






No comments: