Saturday, May 1, 2021

Green Parakeets at Progreso Lakes, 5/1/21

 A cold front and a little cut off low pressure system in Mexico gave us a couple of cool days and even a little rain.  So my plan was to go somewhere and see some migrants today.  But then I saw a Yellow Warbler while I was eating breakfast and then there was this wild looking Muscovy on the irrigation standpipe out in the cotton field.  Maybe it's a little bit too pot bellied for a wild bird but otherwise it looks pretty good.



So I decided to spend some time in our yard at Progreso Lakes.  It didn't take long to pick out the Purple Gallinule across the water.  I assume it's the same one that has been present for the past ten days or so.


There were four Eastern Kingbirds, a Philadelphia Vireo and an American Redstart but otherwise not much in way of migrant passerines.


I was sitting on the back porch watching the bird bath and brush patch when I saw a small flock of what I thought were shorebirds flying high over the opposite shore with shallow wingbeats.  I ran back to the water and thought I had missed them but then refound them very distantly heading over to the other lake.  I switched to manual focus and luckily got a couple of shots.  Hmmm..... why are these shorebirds green?  And come to think of it, why were they making a shreeking call?  Were they Green Parakeets?


Well I returned to the porch, pondering my green shorebirds, when I head the same shreeking but this time much closer.  And I recognized the call as Green Parakeets which I used to hear frequently when we lived in Weslaco.  After a little bit I found four of them in the neighbor's anacua across the fence.  Not totally unexpected, Green Parakeet is species #239 for our yard.




Well, that was good.  I returned to the porch and a trio of small doves landed in the dead frozen Ficus not far away.  I was expecting the usual Incas but they turned out to be Common Ground Doves.


A tight flock of about twenty smallish slim birds streaked by before I could get a photo.  I couldn't think of anything they could be other than Cedar Waxwings.  A bit later one landed for me.


Sitting on the porch was being productive.  Then I heard the squeeky call note of a Groove-billed Ani.  I was waiting for the call to morph into some other mockingbird mimicry but then a black floppy tailed bird with a fat beak landed in a distant tree.  Our first Groove-billed Ani of the year and bird #178 for our 2021 yard list.



Jones yard, Progreso Lakes, Hidalgo, Texas, US
May 1, 2021 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Protocol: Stationary
65 species (+2 other taxa)

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck (fulgens)  200
Fulvous Whistling-Duck  13
Muscovy Duck (Domestic type)  7    Six domestic in the resaca and this wild looking one on the standpipe in the cotton field.
Plain Chachalaca  6
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)  4
Eurasian Collared-Dove  2
Inca Dove  2
Common Ground Dove  3
White-tipped Dove  1
White-winged Dove  50
Mourning Dove  12
Groove-billed Ani  1
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  1
Common Nighthawk  1
Chimney Swift  1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  5
Buff-bellied Hummingbird (Northern)  2
Common Gallinule (American)  1
American Coot (Red-shielded)  2
Purple Gallinule  1    continuing bird
Black-necked Stilt (Black-necked)  2
Killdeer  1
Spotted Sandpiper  1
Anhinga  1
Neotropic Cormorant  4
Great Egret (American)  1
Snowy Egret  2
Green Heron  4
Black-crowned Night-Heron  6
Black Vulture  1
Turkey Vulture  3
White-tailed Kite  1
Mississippi Kite  20
Ringed Kingfisher  1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker (Northern)  4
Ladder-backed Woodpecker  1
Crested Caracara  2
Green Parakeet (Green)  4
Black Phoebe  1
Brown-crested Flycatcher  1
Great Kiskadee  5
Tropical Kingbird  2
Couch's Kingbird  2
Eastern Kingbird  4
Philadelphia Vireo  1
Black-crested Titmouse  1
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  2
Barn Swallow (American)  10
swallow sp.  30
European Starling  6
Long-billed Thrasher  1
Northern Mockingbird  4
Clay-colored Thrush  1
Cedar Waxwing  20
House Sparrow  2
Hooded Oriole (cucullatus/sennetti)  2
Red-winged Blackbird  3
Bronzed Cowbird (Bronzed)  2
Brown-headed Cowbird  1
Great-tailed Grackle (Great-tailed)  12
Common Yellowthroat  1
American Redstart  1
Yellow Warbler (Northern)  1
Northern Cardinal (Common)  1
Indigo Bunting  3
Painted Bunting  1
Dickcissel  2

No comments: